Having been on the road for the better part of the last six weeks, I believe I’m as qualified as anyone to write a post with that title.
- Get clarity on agenda in advance. Share agenda day before meeting.
- Be between five and ten minutes early. Have your materials ready.
- Greet warmly. Ask something specific about family. Memory matters.
- Ask how they’re tracking.
- Go over agenda.
- Work the agenda. Review obligations.
- Answer questions as asked.
- Listen quietly and completely. Make eye contact.
- Have an opinion. Be honest.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 until agenda items are complete.
- Get clarity on deliverables, assignments, and deadlines. If next meeting needs to be set, set it now!
- Say goodbye. Get back to work.
That’s it. If you don’t have all those elements, your meetings need to be improved.